Blair’s Downtown – Block 46
Lots 9-15 (17th to 16th Streets)
1909 Sanborn Map
- 1909 – Meat market
- American Family Insurance
- Harriet Pitts once operated a cafe in this building.
- 1938-39 – Café. The owner at that time was a man named Kepkey or Koepke.
- Scheffler Sporting Goods
- Women’s Organization met in the upstairs of Sheffler’s.
History of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1251 in Blair
Started in 1933, the original club conducted meetings in the top floor of the business at 1647 Washington Street. In 1954 the club moved to 393 River Road where it remains to this day.
- 1909 – Drug store
According to Jon Stewart: Stewart’s Pharmacy
- J. Harold Stewart, pharmacist
- Dr. Edward Russ Stewart’s medical practice was in the rear of the store.
- Dr. Stewart was the father of Pauline (Stewart) Varley and J. Harold Stewart
- Klopp’s Jewelry started by displaying merchandise in a case located in the front right side of the Pharmacy.
- Wayne Anderson was hired as pharmacist after the death of J. Harold Stewart.
- In the 1960s Mrs. Merle (Taylor) Stewart sold the pharmacy to Wayne Anderson.
- Then sold to Curt Barr.
- 2019 – Pawn shop
- 1924 – Swanson Meat Market
- Early 1940s – Central Market, owned and operated by Traney and Mabel Bohs, then Elmer Hartman and Bill Lucke, and finally Elmer Hartman. (Source: Jon Stewart )
- Late 1940s & 1950s – Ted’s IGA, owned and operated by Ted Kugsch. (Source: Jon Stewart )
- 1960s – 1970s – Mac’s IGA, owned and operated by Bob Macholan
- 1978-1983 – Doughnut Shop
- Mandarin House Chinese Restaurant; Nick’s Italian Restaurant; Rivers Steak House
Lots 13-14 (Pierce and Warrick Building)
J. M. McDonald Clothing Store
(Historic Downtown District) a.k.a. Pierce Building
Lot 13 (Pierce Building)
- 1909 – Furniture Store
- 1940s-1976 – J.M. McDonald’s – Russell Musick was manager for 30 years
- Ortmeier’s Appliance before moving to a different location
- Sanderson Photography (until 2003)
Lot 14 (Warrick Building)
- 1909 – Drug store
- Previously a mortuary and furniture store owned by J.E. Campbell. Campbells sold former J. M. McDonalds store to Duane Harris, owner of Harris Shoe Store. J.E. bought it on Armistice Day. (clarification needed)
- Late 1930s – Wellsey (sp?) had a bowling alley (Source: Jim Pounds)
- Bowling Alley 1939 or 40 Ed Woltje (sp?) — until 1943?
- Hansen’s Bakery? Family lived above the bakery—door on street next to bakery led to living quarters. (clarification needed)
- 1950s – Coast to Coast Hardware
B & C Shop
Dana College Archive-Catalog No. STO-0001
- 1909 – Tin and Hardware
- 1940s -1950s – Von Lankens
- B & C Shop
- Blair Fitness Club
- Heartland Tasting Room
Blair Historic Preservation Alliance | P.O. Box 94 | Blair, Nebraska 68008 | firstname.lastname@example.org