Click on each Block below for information and historical pictures.
Blair’s downtown area is characterized by historic one- and two-story brick buildings laid out along Washington Street. In the late 1800s, many of these were built to replace 10- and 15-year-old wooden structures that were typical of early communities. Today they give the downtown district a distinctive charm.
Originally the business district was more centered on Walker Street (now 16th Street) and ran north from Washington to about State Street. In fact, the first town lots were auctioned off from the corner of 16th and State Street in 1869. By the early 1880s more substantial buildings were being erected on the east-west Washington Street, thus making it “Main Street” in Blair by the 1890s.
Blair Historic Preservation Alliance | P.O. Box 94 | Blair, Nebraska 68008 | firstname.lastname@example.org