John A. Moore (1830-1916)
Word was received here Saturday evening of the sudden death of John A. Moore at the home of his son, J. H., in Omaha, at 3 o’clock. He went down there Monday while his daughter, Flora, was in Chicago. Saturday morning, he wanted to get up but his son thought it best for him to lie in bed for he seemed very weak. He had no illness, the spring of life simply ran dry, that was all. The body was brought up here Sunday morning and the funeral held at the Baptist church yesterday morning, Rev. George Smith, of Herman, who had lived neighbor to them from his boyhood, and who conducted the funeral of his daughter, Sarah, some six years ago, officiating. The Masonic lodge, of which he had been a member for about forty years, took charge of the body after the services at the church and gave it a Masonic burial.
Mr. Moore was born near Dayton, Ohio, June 4th, 1830, and was therefore almost 86 years of age. He was married to Miss Anna Pierson April 12th, 1856 at Lawrence, Ill.; and they came to this county in 1866, among the very earliest settlers, settling on a homestead a mile and a half south of Kennard. In March, 1881 they moved to this city and Mrs. Moore passed away Aug. 20th, 1890.
Mr. Moore was a brick mason by trade and built or helped to build many if not most of the brick buildings in this city. His first job in the city was the brick building now occupied by Bruce McMillan on west Lincoln street. He either had the contract for or helped build the Stewart building, now occupied by the Home theatre and the Peebles grocery, the State Bank building, the Arndt Hardware, the Haller building now occupied by J. F. White, the Heinzerling building; now occupied by the Haller Proprietary Co., the Baltruch building, now occupied by the Danish Publishing House, the West school building, the old part of Dana college, the old High school building and many others in this and Douglas county, so the work of his hands will remain as a monument to his memory.
He joined the Baptist church as soon as he moved to this city and was one of the dutiful deacons for many years. Contrary to the general opinion he was not a soldier of the Civil war, though his brother, Jim, whose death occurred a few years ago, was. He was a good, clean, upright citizen, a loving husband and father and a faithful friend. He did his life’s work well and then had time to sit down in the evening of life and enjoy the fruits of his labor under the watchful care of his children. The children living are: J. H., of Omaha. Mrs. P. D. Corell, of Plainview, Neb., P. S., of South Omaha, John, Jr., Flora and Olive, of this city. Their many friends join in the kindest expressions of sympathy, and in the memory of along life well spent.
Blair Historic Preservation Alliance | P.O. Box 94 | Blair, Nebraska 68008 | firstname.lastname@example.org