Home > Archive > Castetter House
Located: 1815 Grant Street
This Property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located on what was known as “Silk Stocking Row” in Blair during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the Abraham Castetter house is a product of Eclecticism. The original house was built in the French Second Empire style prior to 1876, with later additions following various architectural styles that were popular during the 1880s and 1890s. Castetter, arrived in Blair in 1869, the year Blair was founded, and served as a banker and realtor in the original sale of new properties in Blair. In 1898 he established “The Banking House of A. Castetter.” In 1887 Castetter deeded to the city land which formed the nucleus of the city park.
Over the years the Castetter house has seen many changes, a tradition which continues to this day. The six column front porch was an addition, the main entrance shifted from the East to the North side. At least two of the four bow windows are additions. It is believed that the larger bow on the west side was added in 1876. Inside are additional columns, a back stair way and elevator. The House is heated by its original hot water system. Central air was added at the turn of the century.
The two story Carriage house contains its original horse stalls, and was believed to have been a horse collar factory in its past.
Blair Historic Preservation Alliance | P.O. Box 94 | Blair, Nebraska 68008 | firstname.lastname@example.org