History from Missouri Valley
A significant factor in the city’s growth was the improvement of the streets and roads in and around Missouri Valley. Due to the frequent, heavy rains and flooding of the lowlands, roads were often impassable, and straw, hay and a network of willows weighted with clay, were used to make the roads usable. This system continued until the modern methods of grading were instituted. In 1915, the Lincoln Highway east of Missouri Valley was completed and extended through the city, on to Council Bluffs. In 1929, with the re-routing of the Lincoln Highway over the newly constructed Lincoln Memorial Bridge which spanned the Missouri River, Missouri Valley became the crossroads of two important highway networks, 75 and 30. Prior to this time, a ferry was the only means of transportation across the river between Iowa and Nebraska.
Blair Historic Preservation Alliance | P.O. Box 94 | Blair, Nebraska 68008 | email@example.com